Tuesday, October 07, 2008

the broken roads we take

the other week, I was surprised to find out that my good friend kathy took a drastic career shift when she went from being a nurse reviewing for the nclex to a brand manager for an upstart clothing company. but kathy is just amazing that way - she happily goes where the wind takes her, and she doesn't question any of it. with 2 careers down pat and a third success on the way, and the excitement of an upcoming wedding, I can only imagine what other adventures she will be having in the days to come.

I got to thinking about my own broken path, and while it is less dramatic than kathy's, I find in retrospect that the brokenness somehow makes sense, when I look at the bigger picture. years ago when I decided to take a leave of absence from law school, all I knew was that I didn't want to go back, maybe just yet or ever. I was determined to get into something so drastically different that for my gap year I ended up working first as a scriptwriter/set designer for food show, and then as an editor for a youth-oriented magazine. Unwittingly through a weird set of opportunities, in that year I managed to combine through work 2 of my deepest passions: food and writing.

When I went back to school after that, I didn't even have the faintest idea that in the same year our family would put up a restaurant, and that I would eventually end up writing materials for it's publicity and putting up and maintaining its website. It's a litte bit like doing needlepoint where you create one stitch at a time, not really knowing what to do or how to continue, but ultimately when you see the finished product you will see how every stitch makes sense.

This constant connection to creative writing and publishing has made me realize that this field is something that I am growing more passionate about by the day. While roads of law and publishing are diverging indeed, maybe at a later time all this will make sense. Exactly how, I'm not sure yet.


No comments: