Tuesday, March 05, 2013

things falling apart

Image from here.
Things are falling apart in our house.
There is the light in the living room with the faulty starter,
the light in my bedroom which pretends to be working until I replace the glass lid and then it doesn't,
the fake old wood varnish that is chipping away from my cabinets,
the creaky front door that sags and scratches the floor when you close it,
the invisible leak that jacks up our water bill,
the ratty couches with their springs exposed,
the wooden floorboards that have become uneven over time.
This is not really my house, I just live here.
But there is the feeling that I am supposed to be doing something more than taking note
of all the things that are getting run down
because these things are happening on my watch, and my parents
are now just watching me
grow into the supposed adult shell that I have developed.
But I haven't.

1:33 AM March 5 2013

No comments: